I like to use icons ion websites and I do buy templates at template monster. So, when I saw a special offer for a membership to Icon Demon, I decided to try it out. They have some nice icons, but the way the site works, Icon Demon was a total waste of my time. Here’s why;
1. You can view individual icons and sort them by category. Good so far, right?
2. You have to drag each individual icon into the shopping cart window. You cannot drag them by sets.
3. Then you click the download button for all the icons you dragged into the cart.
4. Then you go to a page that says click here to go to your downloads page.
5. Then you have to click download for each and every individual icon you previously dragged into the cart window.
6. The icons are numbered, no names to describe them and if you accidentally click to download the same icon twice, it just gives it a different number rather than saying it already exists, do you want to replace it.
7. There is no download all button.
8. They have icon sets for download, if you want to pay them an additional $99.
So, basically, the site is designed to be a hassle, unless you upgrade to their premium membership. The offer at Template Monster is just a come on.
On a positive note, this demonstrates how usability of a website is extremely important. I’ll never use or recommend Icon Demon to anyone because of the hassle of using the site. The hassle at Icon Demon seems very intentional, but is your website easy to use?
If you aren’t looking to suck people in to buy a premium membership like Icon Demon and you have a real offer that has value instead and aren’t trying to “trick” your customers, you should make sure that you are not adding too many steps or complications for your potential customers.
I welcome anyone from Icon Demon to come and tell me why it isn’t just a come on to con me into the premium membership and that the hassle is worthwhile. Because as it is, the money I paid for a membership to IconDemon.com was a total waste of time and money.